A couple of months ago IOPE relaunched their cushion collection with updates. The new IOPE cushion line up has four different formulas: Natural Glow (Grey Rim case), Matte (Silver), Intense Cover (Rose Gold) and Moisture Lasting (Blue). The previous cushion collection had five formulas: Natural, Cover, Intense Cover, Shimmer and Matte. So Moisture Lasting is a new formula type to the line up.
Originally I had hoped I could do a comparison of New vs Old Natural formulas, but I ended up deciding to try the new Moisture Lasting formula, so I don’t think I can do a fair detailed comparison with the 3rd generation IOPE Air Cushion XP that I have. The formulas are too different. Though I thought I’d still do a general comparison of the formula change and also new vs old case and packaging.
OLD VS NEW
General Formula Comparison
Although I’m not able to do a detailed comparison of the formulas, I can compare the shades, scent and finish of the new and old formulas.
- The old formulas had three shades, No.13, 21 and 23 for each formula type. The newer cushions have three tone categories (Cool, Warm and Natural), which each have three shades (no, 13, 21 and 23). So in total there are nine different shades. The newer formula definitely can cater for more skin tones. I really like the fact that there is a warmer option. My skin tone leans yellow and warm.
- From swatches you can see the W21 definitely does lean more yellow than the old N21.
- The new formula also smells much more pleasant than the old. The old formula smelt like anti-dandruff shampoo, while the new has a fresher scent.
- The new formula’s finish also appears to be finer and more natural looking than the original formula.
Case & Packaging Comparison
- The new case is much thinner than the old. The base is actually the same height, but the lid of the new case is much shorter and not as thick as the as the old. This is enabled because the cushion cartridge inside is seated much lower into the base than the old version, and so the lid can be thinner, because it doesn’t need to accommodate the cartridge’s height inside the case.
- The new case is also shaped differently. The old case was round and had pretty much the same width up and down the cushion case. While the new case tapers in and is slanted inwards from top to bottom.
- The lid of the new case is more like a flat top dome with a coloured rim that shows which formula it is. The rim doesn’t really have any height at all. Which at first makes it harder to open if you’re use to the older cases. Not a biggie though.
- The cartridge inside the case is also different from old to new. The new refill cartridges do no fit into the old cases and vice versa.
- The height of the sponge part of the cartridge is the same for both old and new. But the height of the lid that closes over the sponge and stores the puff is different. The old one is higher. The new one is thinner and lower, which makes it sit lower in the case. So the overall new cartridge is shorter and thinner, even though the sponge area is the same and they both have 15g of product.
- The new sponge cartridge also has a wider bottom, making it look larger, while the old one has a more narrow bottom.
- The new cushion sponge sits lower in the cartridge than the older one. I find this makes getting to the product a little harder when you have used up the top layers of product, cos you have press deeper. Which IOPE may have tried to solve by giving us a smaller puff. But I generally prefer the larger. I find it hard to fit my three fingers into the loop behind the smaller puff.
- The new sponge is a big marketing point for the new cushions. Instead of a flat sponge, the new cushions have little ball ridges on the surface of the sponge. These ridges combined with the stiff like firmness of the newer sponges are meant to help prevent over soaking the puff. This seems to work when you first start using the cushion, but once the top layer of foundation has been used, it probably makes it harder to get product onto the puff. I was surprised by how firm the newer sponge actually is. To soak the puff, you actually have to press much harder. So although a good thing when the cushion is new, I can foresee that the firmness of the new sponge combined with the sponge sitting lower in the cartridge, it will be much harder to get to the deeper bits of product.
Moisture Lasting Formula
Comparing the Moisture Lasting formula is to the old Natural formula, it does look slightly more dewy on the skin. As a Moisture Lasting formula I thought it would be for drier weather, but it’s definitely not as creamy as some other winter formulas, nor is it as dewy or glowing. It’s definitely not as dewy as say my fav Lirikos Marine UV Water cushion and that one isn’t even a moisture lasting formula. So it definitely can’t be used in winter. I live in Australia and it’s winter here right now, but the Moisture Lasting formula doesn’t have enough moisture for the cold weather. I would say it’s more a Spring/Autumn cushion for those who have drier skin or for those who like a more dewy look. It would be a lovely fine slightly dewy finish for weather in those seasons.
As mentioned above, this new formula has a much finer finish than the old. The pigments are very fine and look very natural on the skin.
In general the formula does last a reasonably long time. I didn’t really need to touch up during the day, except around my nose area, because I blow my nose a lot (I have allergies….). Coverage is similar to the older Natural formula that I have.
What I Think
If I compare the old Natural formula with the new Moisture Lasting formula, I like the new Moisture Lasting formula more. I like the fine pigments in the newer formula and also the slightly more dewy finish. I also like the new scent.
Case wise, I actually prefer the old case. Besides the fact that I don’t like how the new sponge sits lower in the cartridge, which makes getting to the product harder, I also think the old case looks better to the eye. There’s something about the new case that just looks a little odd to me. It doesn’t look as pretty to me. But that’s really a personal preference.
The old cushions are being discontinued, but at the moment they can still be purchased from aritaum.com. The new cushion purchased price and places:
Price: AU$59.42 from Aritaum.com or KRW 42,000 standard price from Korean websites (but look for sales, which happen often!)
Happy Shopping Everyone! :)